5-Axis post processor needed

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

5-Axis post processor needed

Postby Precision Composites » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:05 am

Hello,

Currently, our 5 axis machine (with AXBB-E and running UCCNC software) can cut 3 axis with no issue and "potentially" 3+2. 5-axis simultaneous is a problem though.
C axis is along Z
B axis along Y

(Using Fusion 360 for CAD/CAM.)

Here's the problem:
3 axis can be done easily with UCCNC post processor (found in F360). Win! (However,.....it doesn't seem to be fully written to support 5-axis.)

3+2 axis can be potentially done using 5-axis maker post processor (found in F360) with modifications as follows:

// fixed settings
var pivotDistance = toPreciseUnit(6.1055, IN); // distance to pivot point along B-axis
var cAxisOffset = toPreciseUnit(3.2813, IN); // distance from B-axis CL to C-axis CL
var headOffset = pivotDistance; // can have the tool length added to it

if (true) {
var bAxis = createAxis({coordinate:1, table:false, axis:[0, -1, 0], range:[-120.001, 120.001]});
var cAxis = createAxis({coordinate:2, table:false, axis:[0, 0, -1], offset:[cAxisOffset, 0, 0], range:[-181.000, 181.000], cyclic:false});

If doing 3+2, C & B axis swing in all the correct directions and look close to where they should be in relative space while cutting in air with a reference point on the bed.

If the toolpath is generated as a 5-axis simultaneous, it looks good in Fusion, but when post processed, the actual movments on the machine (and the display screen in UCCNC) are in another galaxy. The movement is also not smooth.

If I use the Thermwood 5-axis post processor (with same relative mods above), the displayed toolpath in UCCNC is about right, movement is smoother (not perfect) and alignment is a bit off.

I had to use the Thermwood post processor to get the kinematics figured out in the above mod for 5axis Maker PP. It took a bit of work just to get to that point plus making sure everything set up in Fusion was the same as the PP.

Hoping someone has got this figured out by now. Seems like there hasn't been much movement in past threads. Maybe there is now a 3-axis and a 5-axis versions available like Thermwood has?
Precision Composites

Re: 5-Axis post processor needed

Postby Precision Composites » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:59 am

Perhaps the issue lies in the lack of RTCP/TCP support for the hardware/software. With other companies already having this implemented in their products, it seems like something that should be updated ASAP as a value add to the product line. Otherwise, there could be a loss of sales.
Precision Composites

Postby cncdrive » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:25 pm

UCCNC does not support RPTC, but I think that the number of users is low who building 5-axis CNCs and want to do real 5-axis machining.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby RoboShop » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:22 pm

Hi Balazs

This is Phil / PDJinc or https://roboshopcnc.com/

We have sold many 5 and 6 axis machines using the AXBB-e. Even more 3 and 4 axis machines using the UC100.

Please look here -
https://youtu.be/OsvGq_lzKdk?si=PmBrF7HEismI3gkt

This 5 axis CNC is going to Hollywood for making figures. I sell to boat makers, dentists, etc. All these customers looking for 5 axis machining.

I have been looking to do a Simultaneous 5-Axis demo with our 5 Prime CNCs. So what hardware should I be using in all the machines we sell?????

Sales are increasing for 5 axis CNCs and I know they are looking to do Simultaneous 5-Axis machining! They are buying Fusion 360, Rhino, MasterCam, etc. and paying for the extra option for Simultaneous 5-Axis CAM.

I had no idea this was limited here - RATS. I hope you reconsider supporting RPTC in the near future - because the future is here!

I NEED Simultaneous 5-Axis machining. So what controller should I be using with all our machines to support our customers????? :?:

Thanks,
Phil
RoboShop

Postby Doncis » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:00 am

But there are many multiaxis users who use 4 axis.
Doncis

Postby Precision Composites » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:48 pm

“ I think that the number of users is low who building 5-axis CNCs and want to do real 5-axis machining.”

The same sort of comment is reminiscent of 3D printing years ago…. Now look where it’s is and how far it’s come with various applications. In fact, it’s made it’s way into the industry I’m in where the same machine can 3D print a tool and final machine using 5-axis.

See here: https://www.thermwood.com/lsam_home.htm
Precision Composites

Postby cncdrive » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:49 am

The problem is that to do this you have to implement kinematics into the control software and if you want to do that to support all kind of machines then you have to do it generalized.
I mean there can be machines which have rotary axis on the head and some others on the table and it can be even mixed with one rotary on the head and one on the table.
Also the software then have to know the rotation points in XYZ as well as the axis distance from the rotation point.
I don't think that any hobby controllers can support this fully.
Yes, I know that HAAS, DMG-Mory, Fanuc etc. can do it, but they are on a different price level.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:46 am

The same sort of comment is reminiscent of 3D printing years ago….

I've been involved with hobby level CNC's for 25 years now, well before 3D printing was even around. I don't see continuous 5 axis machining being "mainstream" even in another 15-20 years. Certainly not at a $60 price point.
If they were to add this feature, the number of people that would use it would likely be in the 10-20 range.
You're asking them to compete with other options that cost 100x more.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby Precision Composites » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:08 pm

We’re doing industrial applications at a 10th the cost with ours. Not just wood, but tooling board, plastics, aluminum late and whatever else I can throw at it. Also have a scaled model of a proto car coming up that will be carved with tooling board. This will be a 5-axis toolpath. May need to switch to RosettaCNC as they have everything figured out and integrated.
Attachments
IMG_8151.jpeg
Precision Composites

Postby cncdrive » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:11 pm

We have customers who doing car frames, Mercedes AMG frames from polycarbonate.
It can be done with UCCNC, but you will need a suitable post processor which calculates the RPTC for you.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Next

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software